Our Veterinary Blog

Can My Dog Eat Halloween Candy?

It is very common for dogs to beg for food, but there are definitely some snacks that you should definitely never give to dogs. This is because even though some foods such as Halloween candy can be tasty to us humans, they tend to be very bad for our dogs. This can range from candy potentially causing health problems like weight gain, stomach issues, and teeth decay to even be toxic to dogs.


Considering how many problems that giving a dog Halloween candy can cause them, it is definitely a good idea to keep these sweet snacks away from your pet. This is especially true when it comes to things like chocolate and any candies that contain the artificial sweetener Xylitol. This is because both chocolate and xylitol are toxic to dogs.


In this article we will be explaining everything that dog owners need to know about feeding their dogs Halloween candy. We will be answering some commonly asked questions about this subject as well as explaining what you should do if your dog gets a hold of some candy. Let’s get right into it.

can my dog eat halloween candy


Can I Give my Dog One Piece of Candy?

No, you should never give your dog any candy, even if it is just one piece. This is because candy can cause a dog many problems no matter if it is toxic to them or not. Problems like a stomach ache, tooth decay, diabetes, and other medical problems can easily result when giving a dog candy. Not to mention, weight gain would be a serious concern as well if you engage in this habit of giving your dog candy regularly.

What Candies are Toxic to Dogs?

Unfortunately, there are some candies that are toxic to dogs as well. This means that some candies can actually poison a  dog if they eat enough of it. Possibly the most common type of candy that is toxic to dogs is chocolate, but there are some other kinds of candies that can be toxic to dogs as well. This includes anything with macadamia nuts, almonds, or xylitol on their ingredients list. Xylitol is a fairly common artificial sweetener that is used in sugar free candies such as sugar free gum.

What Happens if a Dog Gets Candy?

Of course, there may be some instances where a dog will get into your candy stash on their own. In this case it is best to evaluate the situation and dry to figure out what type of candy they have eaten and how much. Once you have figured this out it is best to call your vet right away for further instruction. Your vet will likely ask you to bring your dog in, and you should call your closest emergency vet if your regular vet is closed.

What Candy is Dog Friendly?

There is no candy that is meant for humans that is also dog friendly. This is because not only are some candies actually toxic to dogs, but they are likely to cause problems such as a bad stomach ache in dogs as well.

What Do You Do If Your Dog Gets Into Halloween Candy?

If your dog gets into Halloween candy do not panic. The best thing that you can do is to call your vet for some advice and expert instructions as to what to do next. It can be helpful to know things like your dog’s weight, what type of candy that they ate, and how much. This is because these things play a role in how toxic some foods like chocolate are for vets. Unfortunately, small dogs are more at risk of experiencing toxicity and other problems associated with eating candy than large dogs are. This is simply due to their smaller size and body weight.

What Happens if a Dog Eats Starburst?

Although starbursts should not be fed to your dog on purpose, a dog eating one or even a couple starbursts by accident is not likely to seriously harm your dog. This is because starbursts do not contain any ingredients that are toxic for dogs.


That being said, your dog is likely to have an upset stomach after eating starburst, especially if they have eaten more than one. It is not necessarily uncommon for dogs to vomit or have diarrhea as a result of this stomach upset as well. If your dog does not seem to be getting better after 24 hours, you should call your vet.

Can Dogs Eat Mike and Ikes?

Like starbursts, Mike and Ikes should not be fed to your dog on purpose. However, Mike and Ikes do not contain xylitol, which is the main concerning ingredient in candy like this. However, your dog is likely to have an upset stomach after eating Mike and Ikes, and they may even vomit or have diarrhea.

Can a Dog Poop Out a Candy Wrapper?

Although dogs can potentially pass a candy wrapper, the likelihood of the item obstructing their digestive tract is fairly high. As a result, you should take your dog to the vet immediately if they have eaten a candy wrapper. In addition to this, candy wrappers are also a choking hazard to dogs, so it is best to keep them out of reach of pets whenever possible.

What Human Sweets Can Dogs Eat?

There are no kinds of human sweets that should be given to dogs. Not only are common ingredients like chocolate and xylitol poisonous to dogs, but giving them sweet snacks is generally very unhealthy. Giving your dog sweets on a regular basis could easily cause:


  • Weight gain and obesity
  • Diabetes
  • Heart disease
  • Tooth decay and dental problems
  • Stomach upset
  • Pancreatitis (if foods are also high in fat)


If your dog has eaten any sweets that contain toxic ingredients for dogs such as chocolate, almonds, macadamia nuts, or xylitol then you should contact your vet right away. If in this situation your regular vet is closed then you should contact your closest emergency vet or a poison helpline.

Recent Posts

About Us

Family is family, whether it has two legs or four. At Main Street Veterinary Center, we've spent the last 40 years healing and caring for your pets. As a family-operated practice, we know that family is about more than simply being related. Animals give us the ability to develop strong bonds and feel great compassion for a fellow living creature.